How to lead a healthy lifestyle is something we all know. There is plenty of information that eating more green foods and superfoods, reducing the intake of sugars, cutting back alcohol, etc., might obviously be the first steps.
Some other key ingredients to add to the recipe of wellness include quality sleep, meditation, exercising, and keeping stress levels low. All these things are so easy to write down, and keep in mind as you continue your daily work; but how many of you can raise your hand and say that you are actually practising these things daily?
At times, you may feel overwhelmed, but it is not complicated. Some simple, realistic approaches bring you closer to a balanced life. Being healthy means living a healthy lifestyle.
You should make some smart choices throughout the day and put in that additional effort that benefits you greatly to live a healthier lifestyle for the rest of the life.
We know that many of us are struggling to maintain a balanced lifestyle, particularly over the past 18 months due to the pandemic. Managing household work, professional work, personal relationships, and health all of a sudden might feel like a LOT.
However, here are the golden steps to add to your daily routine for a balanced life.
1. Drink more water: No rule says that you should drink a certain amount of water. In general, the more you work, the more water you should drink. Instead of drinking a cup of coffee, you will feel much better if you drink a bottle of water. Staying hydrated keeps your metabolism working well all day long, and significantly, it helps to reduce energy cravings, pains and keeps up your energy.
2. Avoid eating unprocessed foods: Your diet decides your health. You should eat more green vegetables, fruits, lean meats, and whole grains. Whole grains have high nutritional values and provide long-lasting energy. Balance is key.
3. Exercise daily: Daily exercise keeps you active all day and reduces stress. So make it an everyday habit. You don’t need to hit the gym and become a pro; just go for a morning walk, meditate and practice aerobics which makes you fit.
4. A small lunch: Pack your lunch to the workplace. People tend to choose food courts for their lunch, but the fact is, it is the least healthy option. Stay away as much as possible from fast foods. Pack a well-balanced and nutritious lunch. Believe it or not, your body works very efficiently with a well-balanced diet.
5. Avoid caffeine in the afternoon: At any time of the day, coffee isn’t a healthy beverage. However, a cup of caffeine in the afternoon does more harm to your body than good.
6. Healthy Snack: Those chips and candy bars in your bags aren’t good for your health. Instead, choose other healthier options like nuts, fruits, and veggies for a snack. Occasionally, even dark chocolate also is good for your health.
7. Avoid Negativity: stay away from Negativity in your life because you become what you let into your life. Stay positive and hopeful even in hard times, and surely things get better.
8. Have healthy relationships: Love is the ultimate superfood for the soul. Having loving, caring people in life can nourish your soul. Cut toxic relationships or stay away from them because they keep you under extreme stress.
9. Find a New Hobby: Hobbies other than work make you feel more satisfied. A good hobby is like having a good friend. You may learn to cook, play a sport, read books, writing and many more. I suggest reading as good; it is like exercise to your brain, which stimulates and enhances the functions of your brain.
10. Take a break: Keep your busy work aside, take time off from everything, better go on vacation. Taking time off from all work actually benefits both physical and psychological health. It also helps to reduce the risk of heart problems, depression, anxiety, and stress.
11. Avoid alcohol and tobacco: Limit drinking alcohol or avoiding it is even better. Anything in excess is dangerous. Cigarettes and alcohol can lead to life-threatening health conditions.
12. Quality sleep: Remember, sleeping means resting your body and brain. If you get quality sleep daily, you will be more active daily. It is recommended to sleep at 7-8 hrs a day. Sleeping early and waking up early is the key to being healthy.
It is a very basic daily health program, but it actually works. You don’t need to jump in suddenly and follow all steps in a single day. Instead, pick the step you like and try it. Add another step another day and go on. Very soon, you can reap the benefits of a balanced life.